May 8 to June 14, 2015
An opportunity to be part of a wonderful, value packed, special insights meaningful experience quietly travelling with new Rotarian friends and Friends of Rotarians to the Cape, Thursday Island, Weipa and back. The tour for no more than 40 people is now well booked but there are some vacancies so we offer this opportunity.
We have devised two parts to this Cape Tag Along Tour to keep everyone together and safe within their comfort zone.
Some participants wish to take their rig all the way and we have park bookings. Others wish to keep the van on bitumen so we have booked van storage near the end of the bitumen road near Laura. For these tour members we have booked units each night up and back and into Weipa so you can travel with those taking their van. This keeps us all together each day and allows more group visits and special presentations which have been arranged along the way.
With the limited tour season to Cape York we have chosen early as our advisers tell us the road is usually at its best and the crowds have not arrived. For example Wendy at Bramwell Station says ‘you’ll have the place to yourselves’. Wendy is Bramwell Station co -owner who also drives the grader. We meet her husband who is a retired legendary wild bull catcher.
Please note the included boat trips to Thursday, Horn Islands, Low Isles each are day trips. We are concluding at Townsville so you can go back, or on to Darwin or to Whitsundays etc at your own desire.
- Start – Located a 3.5 hour drive from Brisbane, Approx 80 km from Kingaroy. Assembly point for tour.
- Attending the famous Burrandowan Picnic Races.
- Travel via Chinchilla, Miles, (Very large Heritage Museum at Miles worth a look) Taroom.
- via Banana,Woolein,Dululu,Gogango and see the Dingo statue in town.
- via Blackwater, Emerald, Clermont, Belyando Crossing
- Charters Towers – a booming town during the gold rush of the 1880s
- Visit historic Ravenswood to the East and Burdekin Dam on Lake Dalrymple or Dalrymple National Park.
- via Greenvale, Lynd Junction and The Savanagh Way.
- Lava Tube Tour (Cost Incl in Tour). These are the world’s longest larva tubes.
- Circuit drive Mt Surprise, Georgetown, Forsayth, Cobold Gorge, Elansleigh and back to Undara Resort.
- via Ravenshoe, Herberton, Atherton.
- Today on the Atherton Tablelands you can visit coffee plantations, The Savannah Wetlands,
or take a drive to the Chillagoe Limestone Caves or Tinaroo Falls.
- 13Klm West of Mareeba is Granite Gorge Nature Park. Or go and see The Curtain Fig and the Crater Lakes,
- We can leave our Caravans at Lakelands for the trip to the Cape (at own cost quoted $4 per night). Travel by car from here to The Tip and back on development road not the Off Road telegraph track.
- Coen – visit RFDS Wellbeing Centre. Coen River – clear and perfect for a cool dip.Or visit Old Heritage House.
- Bramwell Station – via Archer River Roadhouse onto Moreton, Wenlock River to Bramwell Station.
- Seisia (Say-sia) Loyalty Beach Campground. Fishing boat option held for us. Tip of Cape York.
- Ferry tour to Thursday Island and Horn Island.(Cost Incl in Tour)
- Return to Bramwell Station – On the way we visit Fruit Bat Falls, Eliot/Twin Falls.
- Weipa 3 nights. More fishing, Mine tour, cultural. Then return and visit Coen and the RFDS Wellbeing Centre.
- Pick up vans. Visit Laura ‘Split Rock Aboriginal Art Sites’ tour. Look at Lakefield NP.
- Cooktown has Chinese and Gold history. Captain Cook, Endeavour River. Must visit famous Lion’s Den Hotel.
- Mossman Gorge on the way to Port Douglas. Reef Trip and visit the Low Islets. (Cost Incl in Tour)
- Cairns, RFDS base, club visit, sky chair and rail from Kuranda included.
- Proceed to Cardwell then conclude at Black River caravan park at Townsville.